Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Death in the family

It's happened again.

Death.

While I understand logically that it happens to all of us and is a part of the natural order of things, it still sucks huge.

Especially when someone you love suffers because of it.

I've lived through the deaths of friends, co-workers, grandparents and other assorted relatives, but it still manages to catch me off guard. There really is no way to prepare for it or to be ready when it finally happens.

So today I'm hugging everyone a little longer, telling everyone I know that I love them and reminding myself that I should do this every day. Not just when the bad stuff happens.

Elisa, wherever you are (and if I have anything to say about it, you're in a much better place) you are missed. Not just by me (who knew you mostly in passing) but by the many, many people who loved you while you were here and will continue to do so now that you're gone.

You brought laughter and love into the lives of those you came in contact with. You've left a hole that no other will ever be able to fill. You left far too early, with too much left to do.

I only hope I can be strong enough to support the one you left behind who matters most to me.

Mental note to self: love deeply and often. Don't forget to mention it always.

Life really is too short.

No comments: